Are you craving a nutritious summertime dish? Feel like you're in Italy right from home with a gorgeous and yummy rustic Italian bread salad!
The talented Sandra Valvassori's Summer Tomato Panzanella Salad is a study in textures and refreshing Italian flavors made from fresh and healthy ingredients. A must try simply-made dish with deliciousness included in every bite!
- 1 loaf of fresh, or day old, crusty bread cut into bite-sized pieces
- ⅓ cup Hiç Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 ½ lbs ripe, in-season tomatoes sliced in wedges or bite-sized pieces
- ¼ red onion thinly sliced
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 large garlic clove grated or minced
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped plus more for garnish
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella, torn into bite size pieces (optional)
- Flaky salt, to finish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss together the bread cubes with 2 tablespoons olive oil and a pinch of salt. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and lay out evenly. Bake until crisp on the outside but still slightly soft on the inside, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, toss together the tomatoes, red onions, 2 teaspoons salt, and a few cracks of fresh pepper.
- Once the bread has cooled, add to the tomato bowl and toss gently to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk the red wine vinegar, garlic and remaining extra-virgin oil. Pour over the tomato mixture and toss again gently until everything is combined. Let rest for 20-30 minutes, tossing once or twice.
- To serve, stir in the basil and top with fresh mozzarella, if using. Transfer to a serving platter and drizzle a little olive oil over top. Garnish with a few more basil leaves, and sprinkle with flaky salt, if desired.
For more excellent recipes, visit https://www.sandravalvassori.com/recipes/